Veøya Island RIB safari

Rib Safari to Norway's first legally protected land, Veøya. The island was a strategic location for the coastal routes during the Viking Age. The southern branch of Romsdal Fjord leads to the Romsdalfjorden where important trade routes led up the valley to Lesja. From there it followed the pilgrim trail over Dovre to Trøndelag, or down the Gudbrandsdal valley to Eastern Norway. The eastern branch led through the Langfjorden where they hauled their ships over the 5-kilometre (3.1 mi) wide, low-lying isthmus at Eidsvåg, in order to avoid the dreaded waters of Hustadvika, and then back to the shipping routes northwards to Nidaros (modern day Trondheim). To the west, past the inlet of the fjord, were the southbound routes to Bergen. At this junction, Veøy was established as a kaupang (Old Norse for a market town) with 300-500 permanent residents and was Romsdal’s economic, administrative, and religious center. Veøya is mentioned by Snorre Sturlason in connection with the battle of Sekken in 1162 where king Håkon Herdebrei was killed by Erling Skakke on 7 July 1162, during the Norwegian civil wars.

On the way back we pass by the museum of fisheries, located on the idyllic Hjertøya Island, which shows the local coastal culture, work environment and living conditions you could find in the region from 1850, onwards.

Ona Island RIB safari

Rib Safari out to Norway's southernmost still-functioning traditional fishing village with a permanent population of about 20-25. This small island community has a small summer café, several places to stay and two pottery workshops. The Ona lighthouse (1867) is painted red, 15 meters tall and stands on Onakalven, the highest point on the island with a marvelous view of the ocean and the mainland from here. A small bridge connects Ona to the island of Husøya, with it`s small chapel with a graveyard and a long sandy beach. The tour includes a stop at the beautiful Lyngværet island to search for sea eagles and seals.

Bjørnsund RIB safari

Rib Safari to Bjørnsund Island which is located on the Southern end of the weather-beaten and dangerous coastal stretch called Hustadvika. Here we find two ancient fishing villages, Søre (Southern) and Nordre (Northern) Bjørnsund, and the lighthouse island, Moøya. The islands once played a central role in the coastal fairway and are situated close to rich fishing grounds. In 1930, 616 persons lived on the islands, but modernization of the Fishing industry, lack of drinking water and governmental centralization policies led to the decision to depopulate them in 1971. Bjørnsund lies exposed to the Norwegian ocean, and enjoys beautiful scenery and offers well-maintained houses, gardens, piers and protected harbors. Today the village dwellings are used as summerhouses.